Sunday, September 11, 2011

Preparing for Sydney Marathon

Looking forward to the Sydney Marathon next Sunday. The 42.2km run is the final leg of an Ironman triathlon and I've done a few of these. So much of running a marathon is in the nutrition as you need to take in fuel during the race in order to finish in good shape. Your pre-race nutrition is very important too and in the week leading up to the race I make sure I eat plenty of good food and take some magnesium supplements. Magnesium loading ensures your muscles won't cramp during the race. The majority of my race nutrition will come from the aid stations which are usually well stocked. I will carry some gels in my race belt for extra nutrition. I use Hammer gels which fulfil my gluten-free requirements and this time I will use the Tropical flavour with caffeine. It's been proven that caffeine in measured doses is highly beneficial when used in endurance events.

I am approaching this race as a preparation for the upcoming triathlon season during which I will be racing in a variety of events with the focus being on long-course racing culminating with the new event in Melbourne, the Asia-Pacific Ironman Triathlon on March 25th 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment