Sunday, July 3, 2011

Triathlon training in the gym

I work out in the gym a few times a week to increase core strength and flexibility which improves my performance in triathlon. I alternate my workouts with legs, shoulders and biceps one day and chest, back and triceps the other. I do abs and stretching every workout. Gym sessions are a great way to recover after races as the muscles really like to be targeted and stretched so toxins can be released.

I always superset my workouts, meaning I do alternate sets of opposing muscle groups. For example, bench press followed by seated rows, incline bench press followed by lat pull-downs. As I am training specifically for triathlon, I work continuously in the gym with no break between sets for the added aerobic benefits.

For legs I do squats/calf raises, leg curls/leg extensions. Squats are excellent for building core strength. Shoulder and arm workouts I triple superset with military press/upright rows/bicep curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment